The Duke Revenue Cycle and Financial Management Fellowship Program is housed within the Patient Revenue Management Organization (PRMO): a fully integrated, centralized revenue cycle function supporting all of Duke Health, including Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, the Private Diagnostic Clinic, and Duke Primary Care. Formed in 2001, the PRMO focuses on streamlining the revenue cycle through enhanced management of scheduling, registration, coding, HIM operations, billing, collections, cash management, and customer service.
- Located in Research Triangle Park, the largest research park in the country and home to 200+ companies in fields such as micro-electronics, telecommunications, biotechnology, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and environmental sciences.
- PRMO currently employs 1500+ staff members
- Annual cash collections: $3,500,000,000
- Patient statements mailed each year: 2,200,000
- Customer service calls received daily: 1,500
During the first year, fellows gain exposure to the impact of revenue cycle and financial management on the entire health system through shadowing opportunities and meaningful project work that pairs project management concepts with strategic planning initiatives.
All projects and educational opportunities are based on learning and developing competencies critical to the success of health care administrators, including:
- Revenue cycle operations
- Service access
- Patient Financial Services
- Coding/revenue management
- Charge capture
- Payor relations
- Payment posting
- Health Information Management
- Managed care contracting
- Strategic planning
- Performance management
- Budgeting/financial analysis
- Balanced scorecard framework
- And internal controls/policy development.