Fellowship projects begin with requests from senior leaders who identify priorities within various levels of the organization. The fellowship preceptor then reviews all requests for those that will best address the core competencies of the fellows. Fellows are also encouraged to seek out projects based on personal interests and professional goals.
Current fellow projects include:
- Managed the development and implementation of the Vascularized Composite Allograft (VCA) Transplantation Program.
- Duke Health Initiative - Mental & Emotional Resiliency Project
- Trauma ASC Recertification
- Developed the business case for the purchase of 3D printing equipment and creation of a 3D printing laboratory.
- Writing business plan for the renovation of the Pediatric Cath/EP labs.
- Managing development of business plans for proposed capital project and clinical program
- Managing committee tasked with enhancing general medicine residency program
- Managing task force developing broad guidelines for hospital radiologic and nuclear medicine services in accordance with revised CMS interpretative guidelines
- Management of workplace security group initiatives aimed at enhancing hospital security equipment and processes
- Management of fitness center renovation of faculty lounge to improve fitness options available to physicians
- Documentation of clinical process improvement stories.
- Operational Lead for implementing an outpatient clinic that treats patients based on their social determinants in order to decrease readmissions, emergency department frequent flyers, and unhealthy behaviors among the underinsured Durham population.
- Implemented an intervention assessment for the discharge call center that allowed for case managers and administrative support to intervene on possible readmissions at earlier point regarding medications received, follow-up with primary care provider/specialist, social determinants, symptom management, after visit summary errors, etc.
- Researched and completed a grant proposal to implement a free dental clinic at the local FQHC in order to better serve the oral hygiene of Durham County residents.
Examples of past projects include:
Management of the Duke University Hospital pneumatic tube system upgrade, which included the development of a 24/7 staffing model, the training of 120+ temporary employees, and the oversight of a labor and supply budget.
Implementation of a clinical quality plan based on analysis of data using the Six Sigma process improvement framework.
Development of a strategic business plan for the construction of a new inpatient unit within Duke University Hospital.
Coordination and leadership of the Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center Certification team.
Provision of project management for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Expecting Success: Excellence in Cardiac Care grant team.
Participation on a multidisciplinary team to revise medical director contracts to align with the Duke University Hospital Balanced Scorecard.
Completion of capacity and utilization analyses for Duke University Hospital operating rooms and inpatient beds.
Financial analysis of Vascular Surgery device and inventory data to assess opportunities for standardization of care and expense reduction.
Administrative support for the planning of an outpatient Cancer Center, leading projects to improve patient flow and facilitating an Oncology IT Planning Committee for the new building.
Participation on a team to develop and implement a Duke Medicine physician survey to measure satisfaction with clinic and hospital operations, revenue cycle management, information technology and ancillary and support services.
Participation and project management for the AHA-McKesson Quest for Quality Award team leading efforts to prepare project leadership teams for site visit.
Conducted an assessment of existing operational and patient care models in hospital outpatient clinics to identify best practices and recommend models of care that can be applied across all clinic settings.
Designed and conducted a voice of the customer project to improve emergency department patient satisfaction among sickle cell patients.
Development of a survey tool for hospital units to inventory emergency power capability in response to emergency preparedness initiatives.
Completion of an internal audit of emergency department triage and EMTALA compliance processes in collaboration with the health system’s Chief Compliance & Privacy Officer.