Fellowship projects begin with requests from senior leaders who identify priorities within various levels of the organization. The fellowship preceptor then reviews all requests for those that will best address the core competencies of the fellows. Fellows are also encouraged to seek out projects based on personal interests and professional goals.
Examples of fellowship projects include:
- ICD-10 Payer testing with vendors such as BC/BS, Aetna, Humana, United, and Medicare.
- Created automated quality assurance and productivity report for benchmarking quality of work for more than 150 financial care counselors.
- Formalized internal audit policy highlighting work flow and processes of charge description master operations, post EPIC EHR conversion.
- Conducted bad debt analysis focusing on Department of Surgery and Private Diagnostic Clinics providers within the health systems to identify bad debt trends to present to leadership.
- Developed revenue cycle metrics and dashboards to track trending of patient access, revenue management, coding, HIM, and billing and collections for the entire health system.
- Conducted patient payment policy research report that focused on compiling data from 11+ health systems on self-pay discounts, high deductible plans, pre-visit estimation, and charity care to help benchmark the Duke University Health System to other prominent academic medical centers across the United States.
- Lead and developed a quality assurance process which measured registration accuracy for appointment conversion as the CCNC clinics were transitioned into the Duke University Health System.
- Coordinated logistics for ICD-10 Go-Live, which included setting up provider training, elbow-to-elbow clinic support, and Go-Live command center.
- Introduced KPI dashboards for both Pre-Registration and Provider Enrollment to capture outstanding provider applications, customer service inquiries, claim denials, claim edits, and referrals.
- Restructured patient access pathways in alignment with health system strategic goals to provide both pre-service patient education and to reduce bad debt.
- Acted as a Project Manager and PRMO liason for the Pediatric Complex Care Telehealth pilot program to create a billing framework for Clinic-to-Home telehealth visits for Duke Health.
- Generated DUHS Patient Identification policies to improve patient safety through standardization of patient identification procedures across the health system.
- Performed root-cause analysis of potential duplicate medical records across DUHS by working with various operational owners to improve departmental processes.